In 1912, B. A. and Bros. was established in the city of
Bombay (now Mumbai). Our founding father, Shri Bhavanishankar Atmaram Oza
came to Mumbai from his native place, a village in Saurashtra and received
his starting education at Northcot Orphanage. He worked with a chemist shop
for some years and then in 1912 established his own shop at Princess Street,
where apart from his shop there were only two other chemist shops. A person
named Mr. Vamanbhai Kapadia later joined him in his business. In 1922, Mr.
Kapadia shifted to Calcutta and started a branch there. He also started
branches in Dacca and Rangoon. In the year 1915, Shri B. A. Oza founded an
organization named "Shree Nathalia Uneval Sevak Mandal" keeping in
mind the total development of the community.
Mr. B. A. Oza established his business of dispensing chemists successfully
and took an active part in India's freedom movement. He also went to jail on
many occasions. At the time of Swadeshi Movement, he was asked to formulate
a product to replace the foreign brand of Woodwards Gripe Water. The
challenge was accepted and the formula was provided by Dr. Jivraj Mehta and
thus born a total Indian gripe water under the name of
BABULINE GRIPE WATER
Shortly after, Mr. B. A. Oza became the contact point for German and Swiss
pharma companies that were trying to establish themselves in India. Through
his efforts, B. A. & Bros. became one of the first companies to import
medicine into India from companies such as Roche, Bayer, etc. During the
World War, the branch at Calcutta was closed and sealed with all the goods
seized. The Company survived many ups and downs up to the time of Indias
In the year 1942, the company opened branches at Guwahati, Cuttack and
Patna and started the distribution of drugs from Geigy & Anglo French
Drugs at Mumbai and Ciba & Anglo French at Calcutta. In 1951, a tragedy
fell upon the Company and B. A. & Bros. lost its founder in a train
accident. The business was passed on to the eldest son, Navnitrai B. Oza,
who had to abandon his education to look into his family's business and
He now expanded the business and slowly transformed it into a wholesaling
and distribution business. After his tour to Europe in 1956, the exposure
gained with Ciba in Switzerland, Bayer in Germany and Anglo French Drugs in
England, helped him modernise the business. Later, his younger brother,
Prataprai B. Oza, also joined in the business.
In the year 1962, the two companies that were originally structured as
partnerships were converted to private limited companies - . B. A. &
Brothers (Bombay) Pvt. Ltd. and B. A. & Brothers Eastern Pvt. Ltd. In
1980, B. A. & Brothers Eastern Pvt. Ltd. was converted into a Public
Company that was quoted on the Calcutta Stock Exchange, mainly to take
advantage of a lower rate of taxation being offered to public companies at
In 1966, apart from its line of manufacturing
Babuline Gripe Water
, B. A. &
Brothers (Bombay) Pvt. Ltd. also started the manufacturing of Lake Colour in
Partnership with a German National and the firm was named as Indo German
In the year 1969, Bharat, son of Navnitrai, joined the business after
completing his B. Com. and acquiring Professional Degree of Chartered
Accountant to look after finance, administration and expansion of business
of the group.
With expansion in activity, Indo German was made into an independent firm
and started occupying pioneering position in the field of Lake Colour
Manufacturing & Tablet coating process.
In the year 1976, the second son of Navnitrai, Bhadresh, after completing
his Pharmacy Degree, joined the business as Technical Expert to oversee
Production and operations of Babuline and Indo German Laboratories.
In the year 1979, another firm M/s. B. A. Distributors was formed to handle
distribution of Suhrid Geigy products of Ambalal Sarabhai Enterprise Ltd. In
the year 1981, the Delhi branch was opened to distribute products of Ambalal
Sarabhai Enterprise Ltd. Vadodara of Geigy and Squibb divisions. The firm
was dissolved on March 31, 1998, to remove duplication and get better
efficiency with effect from September 30, 1997, at Bombay as well as Delhi.
The business of this firm was transferred to Babuline Pharma Pvt. Ltd.
In September 1981, M/s. Bab Pharma Pvt. Ltd. was formed to start
manufacturing operations of Babuline and other products at the newly
acquired plot at Kandivali Industrial Estate, Charkop, Mumbai. In 1984, a
branch office was opened at Delhi for taking up Bayer Diagnostic
Distribution. Bab Pharma Pvt. Ltd. was renamed in 1996 as Babuline Pharma
Pvt. Ltd. to identify with its product Babuline which is a Registered Trade
Mark as well as Copyright.
In 1986, Kamlesh, son of Prataprai, joined the business after completing
his Pharmacy Degree and Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics from the University of Ohio
State in the U.S.A.
Indo German Laboratories entered into a joint venture with Colorcon Ltd.
U.S.A. in the year 1994. The joint venture company was named Colorcon Asia
Pvt. Ltd. and is a leading manufacturer and supplier of Pharmaceutical
excipients to the Pharma Industry. The partners of Indo German Laboratories,
the Oza family, divested their holdings in the joint venture in March 2000,
making it a wholly owned subsidiary of Colorcon Ltd. U.S.A. Indo German
Laboratories stopped business activity with effect from April 1, 2005 to
eliminate duplication and to consolidate business into Babuline Pharma Pvt.
Chanakya, son of Bharat, joined the business in the year 2008. Chanakya
received a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a
concentration in Finance from the Carnegie Mellon University (U.S.A.) in
2001. After graduation, Chanakya worked with Merrill Lynch in New York in
their Investment Banking Division from 2001 to 2007. Chanakya is responsible
for overseeing business development and management of the group companies.