In 1912, B. A. and Bros. was established in the city of Bombay (now Mumbai). Our founding father, Shri Bhavanishankar Atmaram Oza came to Mumbai from his native place, a village in Saurashtra and received his starting education at Northcot Orphanage. He worked with a chemist shop for some years and then in 1912 established his own shop at Princess Street, where apart from his shop there were only two other chemist shops. A person named Mr. Vamanbhai Kapadia later joined him in his business. In 1922, Mr. Kapadia shifted to Calcutta and started a branch there. He also started branches in Dacca and Rangoon. In the year 1915, Shri B. A. Oza founded an organization named "Shree Nathalia Uneval Sevak Mandal" keeping in mind the total development of the community.
Mr. B. A. Oza established his business of dispensing chemists successfully and took an active part in India''s freedom movement. He also went to jail on many occasions. At the time of Swadeshi Movement, he was asked to formulate a product to replace the foreign brand of Woodwards Gripe Water. The challenge was accepted and the formula was provided by Dr. Jivraj Mehta and thus born a total Indian gripe water under the name of BABULINE GRIPE WATER.
Shortly after, Mr. B. A. Oza became the contact point for German and Swiss pharma companies that were trying to establish themselves in India. Through his efforts, B. A. & Bros. became one of the first companies to import medicine into India from companies such as Roche, Bayer, etc. During the World War, the branch at Calcutta was closed and sealed with all the goods seized. The Company survived many ups and downs up to the time of India’s independence.
In the year 1942, the company opened branches at Guwahati, Cuttack and Patna and started the distribution of drugs from Geigy & Anglo French Drugs at Mumbai and Ciba & Anglo French at Calcutta. In 1951, a tragedy fell upon the Company and B. A. & Bros. lost its founder in a train accident. The business was passed on to the eldest son, Navnitrai B. Oza, who had to abandon his education to look into his family''s business and family.
He now expanded the business and slowly transformed it into a wholesaling and distribution business. After his tour to Europe in 1956, the exposure gained with Ciba in Switzerland, Bayer in Germany and Anglo French Drugs in England, helped him modernise the business. Later, his younger brother, Prataprai B. Oza, also joined in the business.
In the year 1962, the two companies that were originally structured as partnerships were converted to private limited companies - . B. A. & Brothers (Bombay) Pvt. Ltd. and B. A. & Brothers Eastern Pvt. Ltd. In 1980, B. A. & Brothers Eastern Pvt. Ltd. was converted into a Public Company that was quoted on the Calcutta Stock Exchange, mainly to take advantage of a lower rate of taxation being offered to public companies at the time.
In 1966, apart from its line of manufacturing Babuline Gripe Water, B. A. & Brothers (Bombay) Pvt. Ltd. also started the manufacturing of Lake Colour in Partnership with a German National and the firm was named as Indo German Laboratories.
In the year 1969, Bharat, son of Navnitrai, joined the business after completing his B. Com. and acquiring Professional Degree of Chartered Accountant to look after finance, administration and expansion of business of the group.
With expansion in activity, Indo German was made into an independent firm and started occupying pioneering position in the field of Lake Colour Manufacturing & Tablet coating process.
In the year 1976, the second son of Navnitrai, Bhadresh, after completing his Pharmacy Degree, joined the business as Technical Expert to oversee Production and operations of Babuline and Indo German Laboratories.
For more Information:Contact Us